HOW TO COOK SARDINESPosted 1 May 2019 by The Saucy Fish Co.
These small, oily fish are like marmite... you either love them or you hate them. Well, we love them! So, we thought we’d share our favourite methods for cooking them.
Don’t worry, they are much quicker and simpler to serve than you would think.
Sardines can be cooked by frying, grilling, curing, salting or smoking.
How to fry whole sardines:
1. Heat olive oil in a hot frying pan, turn heat to medium.
2. Dice onion and fry for 2-3 minutes, to add more flavour.
3. Add sardines to pan and cook on each side for 3-5 minutes. It’s a simple as that.
How to grill sardines:
1. Combine garlic, olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper in a bowl and mix. Add sardines into the bowl and coat them with the mixture. Leave to marinate for a few hours.
2. Heat a griddle pan or BBQ, then cook the sardines for 3-5 minutes on each side. Remove and drizzle with olive oil and lemon.
Some top tips:
○ Run sardines under cold water before cooking to remove rough skin.
○ Drizzle sardines with olive oil, salt and pepper before cooking and lemon juice after cooking, for maximum flavour.
○ Sardine bones are very small and can be eaten, so don’t worry if you consume any...