SAUCY CHEF TIP OF THE MONTH… TURMERICPosted 7 July 2016 by The Saucy Fish Co.
According to Google’s 2016 Food Trends Report, turmeric is one of the most commonly searched food terms this year, with interest in this ingredient increasing 56% between November and January alone.
So what is all the fuss about? Here are our top turmeric facts.
1. Firstly, to avoid any embarrassment when talking about the latest spice trends, it’s pronounced tur-mer-ic.
2. Look familiar? This root plant is part of the ginger family and is very similar in appearance.
3. Turmeric plants are grated to produce the spice you buy in supermarkets.
4. According to Google there are 8% more turmeric related searches on Monday than the weekly average.
5. Turmeric is known as a “golden spice of India.
6. The spice has long been used in Indian medicine for its anti-inflammatory qualities.
7. Turmeric is not only delicious, it’s also rich in minerals and vitamin C.
8. Turmeric’s distinctive qualities are perfect for adding a splash of flavour and colour to your cooking.
9. Perfect when paired with white fish – we love the look of this Turmeric and Coconut Fish Curry from Delicious.