SAUCY CHEF TIP OF THE MONTH… PUMPKINPosted 5 October 2016 by The Saucy Fish Co.
There’s more to pumpkins than Jack-O’-Lanterns. This versatile ingredient, now back in season, plays host to a variety of dishes. We’ve compiled a list of 5 interesting facts to help you get to know this orange little number a bit better.
1. The word pumpkin comes from the word pepon which is a Greek word for ‘large melon’ – something big and round!
2. Morton in Illinois has been named as the pumpkin capital of the world.
3. The tradition of carving pumpkins for Halloween originates from Celtic speaking regions. They displayed these pumpkins to keep evil spirits away.
4. The world’s heaviest pumpkin weighed a whopping 1054kg – grown and presented by Beni Meeir from Switzerland in October 2014.
5. Pumpkins can be used to make sweet and savoury dishes; pies, soups, curries, cakes, pancakes and much more – we recommend pairing your pumpkin with haddock.