TIP OF THE MONTH... PURPLE SPROUTING BROCCOLIPosted 3 March 2016 by The Saucy Fish Co.
Here at The Saucy Fish Co. we’re all about adding a splash of colour to mealtimes and what better way to jazz up a plate this spring than with purple sprouting broccoli?
We’re sure you’re all well acquainted with the trusty green variety of broccoli, but how well do you know its colourful cousin? Here are our top 10 facts to help you get to know these purple florets a little better:
1. The word broccoli comes from the Italian plural broccolo which means ‘the flowing crest of the cabbage’
2. You guessed it, broccoli is a member of the cabbage family and also closely related to the cauliflower and the brussel sprout
3. Purple sprouting broccoli is in season now and will be sticking around until April/May
4. Make sure you get the perfect pick; look for broccoli with a long, firm stalk and dark coloured florets
5. Steam, stir-fry or boil - purple sprouting broccoli is very versatile
6. Those little leaves that adorn the stems are all edible - no preparation required, just give them a rinse, a chop and throw in the pan!
7. This lovely purple veg is packed with vitamins C & A, iron, fibre, calcium and folic acid
8. Great news for Saucy fans; purple sprouting broccoli compliments most fish. We recommend steaming your broccoli until tender and pairing with Saucy’s Foil Bake Bag Smoked Haddock with Vintage Cheddar and Chive Sauce
9. Serve as a side by simply adding lemon, butter and a hollandaise sauce
10.This broccoli tastes great with soy sauce so throw into a stir-fry with some fresh salmon for a quick easy and nutritious main course