TOP 10 REASONS FISH REALLY ARE COOLPosted 1 October 2015 by The Saucy Fish Co.
As we celebrate being recognised as one of the coolest brands in the UK by influential initiative CoolBrands, we bring you the top 10 reason why fish really are cool!
1. Firstly, there are more species of fish than mammals, birds, amphibians and reptiles combined!
2. Think dinosaurs were cool? Fish are cooler. As one of the oldest animal families on the planet, fish far outdate those dinosaurs, dating back around 500 million years.
3. Earlier this year, a 14ft stingray weighing in at 800lbs became the largest freshwater fish ever caught with a rod – that’s the combined weight for 4 adult men!
4. The highest jump a salmon has been known to make in Scotland is 3.7m/12 foot.
5. One puffer fish contains enough toxins to kill 30 adult men.
6. The world’s most expensive fish sold in 2013 for 155.4 million yen (over £860,000) in Tokyo, Japan. The 222kg Bluefin tuna was served up to customer in the country’s first 24 hour sushi restaurant.
7. Fish is rich in Omega 3 oil, which plays a part in helping the heart work normally; upholding normal blood pressure whilst also maintaining levels of triglycerides in blood, which when raised increase of risk of heart disease.
8. Fish can glow in the dark! They may not have brains, hearts, ears, eyes or noses but some jellyfish do have light-emitting bioluminescent organs meaning they can glow in the dark.
9. Think fish have a memory span of 3 seconds? Wrong. Scientists recently discovered that some fish can actually remember things for up to 2 weeks.
10. With the exception of the shark, fish do not have eyelids – now that’s blinking cool.